Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist
Date: 2020-02-05 15:12:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 4:57 AM k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<k(dot)jamison(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> Kindly check the attached V6 patch.
> Any thoughts on this?

Unfortunately, I don't have time for detailed review of this. I am
suspicious that there are substantial performance regressions that you
just haven't found yet. I would not take the position that this is a
completely hopeless approach, or anything like that, but neither would
I conclude that the tests shown so far are anywhere near enough to be
confident that there are no problems.

Also, systems with very large shared_buffers settings are becoming
more common, and probably will continue to become more common, so I
don't think we can dismiss that as an edge case any more. People don't
want to run with an 8GB cache on a 1TB server.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company