Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date: 2022-03-24 16:21:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 12:02 PM Simon Riggs
<simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> What about (1)? That directly affects the powersave capability. I
> didn't read anything specific to that.
>
> If we don't fix (1) as well, the changes for startup and walreceiver
> will be ineffective for powersaving.
>
> What changes will be acceptable for bgwriter, walwriter and logical worker?

Hmm, I think it would be fine to introduce some kind of hibernation
mechanism for logical workers. bgwriter and wal writer already have a
hibernation mechanism, so I'm not sure what your concern is there
exactly. In your initial email you said you weren't proposing changes
there, but maybe that changed somewhere in the course of the
subsequent discussion. If you could catch me up on your present
thinking that would be helpful.

Thanks,

--
Robert Haas