Re: [BUG] pg_basebackup from disconnected standby fails

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [BUG] pg_basebackup from disconnected standby fails
Date: 2016-10-28 12:54:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 7:38 PM, Michael Paquier
>> I committed and back-patched this with some additional work on the
>> comments, but I don't understand this remark. That comment seems like
>> it should refer to the checkpointer in modern branches, but isn't that
>> point independent of this patch?
>
> * During recovery, we keep a copy of the latest checkpoint record here.
> - * Used by the background writer when it wants to create a restartpoint.
> + * lastCheckPointRecPtr points to start of checkpoint record and
> + * lastCheckPointEndPtr points to end+1 of checkpoint record. Used by the
> + * background writer when it wants to create a restartpoint.
>
> The patch committed introduces lastCheckPointEndPtr, which is not used
> to decide if a restart point should be created or not.

The comment doesn't say anything about those structure members being
used to decide "if a restart point should be created or not". It just
says that they are used; it says nothing about the purpose for which
they are used.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company