Re: WIP: Rework access method interface

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: WIP: Rework access method interface
Date: 2016-01-18 03:48:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Then we're going to end up with option A; and I suspect that we'll never
> bother with factoring out any common code, because it won't be worth the
> notational trouble if it involves common code that's in a different file
> in a different directory.

Since when is sharing code across files in different directories even
an iota more difficult than sharing code across files in the same
directory?

Sharing code across multiple files is only slightly more difficult
than sharing it within a file. You just have to create a header file
in the appropriate place and stick the necessary declarations in
there. I'll admit that's some work, but it's not usually very much.
After that, where the header gets included from really makes no
difference.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company