Re: BUG #6340: to_timestamp() miscalculates

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hans-Henrik Fuxelius <hfuxelius(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6340: to_timestamp() miscalculates
Date: 2011-12-23 17:25:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Hans-Henrik Fuxelius
<hfuxelius(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> It seems not possible to suppress to_timestamp from doing daylight
> saving conversion, I have GPS timeseries that looks perfect in the
> 'timestamp without time zone' save one value that wreck the whole time
> serie, does that mean that time series cant be stored in time stamps?

I think it mostly means that you shouldn't use timestamp without time zone.

Or else you should use a time zone setting that doesn't involve DST.

Throwing away the time zone information is bad, because YYYY-MM-DD
HH:MM:SS doesn't uniquely identify a point in time, even if you know
what time zone it's relative to. That combination of years, minutes,
days, hours, minutes, and seconds can occur twice, if it's near a DST
boundary.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company