Re: Large C files

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Large C files
Date: 2011-09-08 14:43:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> writes:

>> > When else would you have us develop?
>>
>> In my eyes that sort of activity *is* development.  I find the
>> distinction you are drawing entirely artificial, and more calculated to
>> make sure refactoring never happens than to add any safety.  Any
>> significant development change carries a risk of breakage.
>
> I ran pgrminclude a week ago and that is certainly a larger change than
> this.  Early in the development cycle people are merging in their saved
> patches, so now is a fine time to do refactoring.

+1.

I'd feel more comfortable refactoring it if we had some automated
testing of those code paths, but I don't see anything wrong with doing
it now from a timing perspective. We still have 4 months until the
start of the final CommitFest. I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about
starting a project like this in January, but now seems fine. A bigger
problem is that I don't hear anyone volunteering to do the work.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company