Re: Memory Accounting

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Soumyadeep Chakraborty <sochakraborty(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, soumyadeep2007(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Memory Accounting
Date: 2019-10-04 20:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 2:47 PM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think it would be helpful if we could repeat the performance tests
> Robert did on that machine with the current patch (unless this version
> of the patch is exactly the same as the ones he tested previously).

I still have access to a POWER machine, but it's currently being used
by somebody else for a benchmarking project, so I can't test this
immediately.

It's probably worth noting that, in addition to whatever's changed in
this patch, tuplesort.c's memory management has been altered
significantly since 2015 - see
0011c0091e886b874e485a46ff2c94222ffbf550 and
e94568ecc10f2638e542ae34f2990b821bbf90ac. I'm not immediately sure how
that would affect the REINDEX case that I tested back then, but it
seems at least possible that they would have the effect of making
palloc overhead less significant. More generally, so much of the
sorting machinery has been overhauled by Peter Geoghegan since then
that what happens now may just not be very comparable to what happened
back then.

I do agree that this approach looks pretty light weight. Tomas's point
about the difference between updating only the current context and
updating all parent contexts seems right on target to me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company