Re: replacing role-level NOINHERIT with a grant-level option

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: replacing role-level NOINHERIT with a grant-level option
Date: 2022-07-08 19:56:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 8:04 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 1:17 PM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > If by "bolder" you mean "mark [NO]INHERIT as deprecated-and-to-be-removed
> > and begin emitting WARNINGs when it and WITH INHERIT DEFAULT are used," I
> > think it's worth consideration. I suspect it will be hard to sell removing
> > [NO]INHERIT in v16 because it would introduce a compatibility break without
> > giving users much time to migrate. I could be wrong, though.
>
> It's a fair point. But, if our goal for v16 is to do something that
> could lead to an eventual deprecation of [NO]INHERIT, I still think
> removing WITH INHERIT DEFAULT from the patch set is probably a good
> idea.

So here is an updated patch with that change.

For those who may not have read the entire thread, the current patch
does not actually remove the role-level option as the subject line
suggests, but rather makes it set the default for future grants as
suggested by Tom in
http://postgr.es/m/1066202.1654190251@sss.pgh.pa.us

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Allow-grant-level-control-of-role-inheritance-beh.patch application/octet-stream 34.6 KB