Re: Combining Aggregates

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Combining Aggregates
Date: 2016-01-19 04:14:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> Yeah. The API contract for an expanded object took me quite a while
>>> to puzzle out, but it seems to be this: if somebody hands you an R/W
>>> pointer to an expanded object, you're entitled to assume that you can
>>> "take over" that object and mutate it however you like. But the
>>> object might be in some other memory context, so you have to move it
>>> into your own memory context.
>>
>> Only if you intend to keep it --- for example, a function that is mutating
>> and returning an object isn't required to move it somewhere else, if the
>> input is R/W, and I think it generally shouldn't.
>>
>> In the context here, I'd think it is the responsibility of nodeAgg.c
>> not individual datatype functions to make sure that expanded objects
>> live where it wants them to.
>
> That's how I did it in my prototype, but the problem with that is that
> spinning up a memory context for every group sucks when there are many
> groups with only a small number of elements each - hence the 50%
> regression that David Rowley observed. If we're going to use expanded
> objects here, which seems like a good idea in principle, that's going
> to have to be fixed somehow. We're flogging the heck out of malloc by
> repeatedly creating a context, doing one or two allocations in it, and
> then destroying the context.
>
> I think that, in general, the memory context machinery wasn't really
> designed to manage lots of small contexts. The overhead of spinning
> up a new context for just a few allocations is substantial. That
> matters in some other situations too, I think - I've commonly seen
> AllocSetContextCreate taking several percent of runtime in profiles.
> But here it's much exacerbated. I'm not sure whether it's better to
> attack that problem at the root and try to make AllocSetContextCreate
> cheaper, or whether we should try to figure out some change to the
> expanded-object machinery to address the issue.

Here is a patch that helps a good deal. I changed things so that when
we create a context, we always allocate at least 1kB. If that's more
than we need for the node itself and the name, then we use the rest of
the space as a sort of keeper block. I think there's more that can be
done to improve this, but I'm wimping out for now because it's late
here.

I suspect something like this is a good idea even if we don't end up
using it for aggregate transition functions.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
faster-memory-contexts-v1.patch text/x-diff 13.0 KB