Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2018-01-15 15:32:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 7:28 AM, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> wrote:
> Everaldo Canuto wrote:
>> Also I don't see a consensus on this thread and I don't understand how decisions are taken.
>
> It's just difficult to find consensus with many people.
>
> There were several valid concerns with this, the most striking (to me)
> was Tome's concern that there are perfectly valid multi-line SQL statements
> where a line could start with "exit" or "quit".
>
> Robert Haas had an idea how to provide useful hints without breaking anything,
> but it seemed a little complicated.

It's not really that complicated. Here's a patch. This follows what
Tom suggested in http://postgr.es/m/30157.1513058300@sss.pgh.pa.us and
what I suggested in
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoZswp00PtcgPfQ9zbbh7HUTgsLLJ9Z1x9E2s8Y7ep048g%40mail.gmail.com

I've discovered one thing about this design that is not so good, which
is that if you open a single, double, or dollar quote, then the
instructions that are provided under that design do not work:

rhaas=# select $$
rhaas$# quit
Use \q to quit or press control-C to clear the input buffer.
rhaas$# \q
rhaas$# well this sucks
rhaas$#

Obviously this leaves something to be desired, but I think it's
probably just a matter of rephrasing the hint somehow. I didn't have
a good idea off-hand though, so here's the patch as I have it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
quit-exit-rmh-v1.patch application/octet-stream 3.6 KB