Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phil Eaton <phil(at)eatonphil(dot)com>
Cc: fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com, Roberto Mello <roberto(dot)mello(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add minimal C example and SQL registration example for custom table access methods.
Date: 2024-05-14 20:07:09
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 3:02 PM Phil Eaton <phil(at)eatonphil(dot)com> wrote:
> > I took a look at this patch and I don't think this is a very good
> > idea,
>
> No problem! I've dropped the v2 code additions and stuck with the v1
> attempt plus feedback.

That looks more reasonable. I'd like to quibble with this text:

+. Here is an example of how to register an extension that provides a
+ table access method handler:

I think this should say something more like "Here is how an extension
SQL script might create a table access method handler". I'm not sure
if we have a standard term in our documentation that should be used
instead of "extension SQL script"; perhaps look for similar examples,
or the documentation of extensions themselves, and copy the wording.

Shouldn't "mem_tableam_handler" be "my_tableam_handler"?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com