Re: Compiler branch prediction hints (was: So, is COUNT(*) fast now?)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compiler branch prediction hints (was: So, is COUNT(*) fast now?)
Date: 2011-11-01 14:55:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 20:58, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I tried sprinkling a little branch-prediction magic on this code using
>> GCC's __builtin_expect().  That initially seemed to help, but once I
>> changed the BufferIsValid() test to !BufferIsInvalid() essentially all
>> of the savings disappeared.
>
> Sounds like mere chance that the compiler decided to lay it out in one
> way or another. A different compiler version could pick a different
> path.
>
> I quite like the likely() and unlikely() macros used in Linux kernel;
> much more readable than __builtin_expect and they might also be useful
> for (usually redundant) error checks and asserts in hot code paths. It
> looks like this:
>
> #ifdef __GNUC__
> # define unlikely(xpr) __builtin_expect(xpr, 0)
> #else
> # define unlikely(xpr) (xpr)
> #endif
>
> if (unlikely(blkno >= rel->rd_smgr->smgr_vm_nblocks))
> {
> /* unlikely branch here */
> }
>
> However, the wins are probably minor because most of the time,
> adaptive CPU branch prediction will override that. Do you think this
> would be a useful patch to attempt?

Well, the obvious problem is that we might end up spending a lot of
work on something that doesn't actually improve performance, or even
makes it worse, if our guesses about what's likely and unlikely turn
out to be wrong. If we can show cases where it reliably produces a
significant speedup, then I would think it would be worthwhile, but I
think we should probably start by looking at what's slow and see how
it can best be made faster rather than by looking specifically for
places to use likely() and unlikely().

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company