Re: Changing default value of wal_sync_method to open_datasync on Linux

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing default value of wal_sync_method to open_datasync on Linux
Date: 2018-03-22 17:32:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 7:27 PM, Tsunakawa, Takayuki
<tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> The reason for change is better performance. Robert Haas said open_datasync was much faster than fdatasync with NVRAM in this thread:

I also said it would be worse on spinning disks.

Also, Yoshimi Ichiyanagi did not find it to be true even on NVRAM.

Changing the default requires a lot more than one test result where a
non-default setting is better.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company