Re: PoC: Little improvements to EditGrid - Enum ComboBox

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PoC: Little improvements to EditGrid - Enum ComboBox
Date: 2012-06-06 15:22:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Dickson S. Guedes <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net> wrote:

>>> - Which field should be displayed in the combo?
>>>   Generally the value of a FK doesn't has enough information about
>>> what it means, them you need another field (e.g  a description or
>>> person_name field) to make sense.
>>
>> Well, you could use a grid instead of a combo box to allow the user to
>> choose, and display the FK value in the first column, and the PK value
>> from the referenced table in the second and subsequent rows. I think
>> anything more than that is probably too domain specific.
>
> Nice idea. Maybe the workflow could be:
>
> 1. user starts edit on a field that is a simple FK
> 2. we open the field and show a little button "[...]" in the right side
> 3. user place the value by hand and the already existing behavior is
> used as expected
> 4. otherwise user click in the button
> 4.1. we open another frmEditGrid called with a special parameter
> 4.2. the special parameter enable double click in a record (or another event)
> 4.3. the new window shows data from referenced table
> 4.4. user search the field and double click it
> 4.5. this frmEdiGrid is closed and the primary key value is placed in
> the original frmEditGrid respective field

It sounds like that is worth prototyping, though, I think using
another edit grid is too much (that's a pretty chunky bit of code,
most of which wouldn't be needed). I'd be inclined to just use a
listview or gridcontrol on a dropdown (so it works like an oversized
combo box).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com