Re: Database designer

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database designer
Date: 2012-03-05 15:48:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Autonaming can be turn off, but the idea of adding this feature arises from
> good database design practices and the idea of having an initial default
> name for it, if the user don't want to use, just overwrite it and it
> automatically turn off.
> Just to clarify, What's the suggestion for it?

Remove the default, to match the behaviour elsewhere in the
application. You don't need to provide a default to require the user
to name the table - that can be required anyway (and would be, if the
user wants a usable script to be generated). Plus the current default
really doesn't meet good practices with PostgreSQL, as the default
name is mixed case.

>>> 7) Why do we have to specify a short table name?
>>>

>> You're not required.
>
>> OK, let me rephrase. Why am I asked for one? What effect does it have
>> on the generated schema?
>

> Is for the use of autonaming feature. If that feature is turned off it
> shouldn't be need any more.

Auto naming of what?

> You can doit by two ways: minimize button and dragging table border (size
> icon) from the button. It sounds like a bug, normal behavior is just like a
> window with maximize/minimize buttons, I'm not sure about your problem, can
> you give me the steps to reproduce it, probably is a bug.

I can't find any way to resize using the mouse. I did get it to
minimise again, when I finally managed to click the _ icon instead of
+, but cannot get it to maximise again - all that happens is the
button icon changes.

> I really don't believe this feature should be removed, it should fixed I
> agree, but is a good designed feature, very flexible, able to do it things
> that other databases designer (even comercial ones) aren't able to do it.

Agreed - but just having has lots of cool features doesn't mean it's
ready to ship. There are a number of issues that I've identified, and
probably more I haven't found yet, and we won't ship a feature in
pgAdmin until we believe it's working to an appropriate standard -
that means bug free (with some allowance for low-impact issues that
cannot easily be resolved, and don't materially affect the user), with
a UI that's usable on all the supported platforms and is consistent
with the rest of the UX throughout the app, and is written in a way
that is maintainable moving forwards (the latter, not being an issue
in this case from what I've seen).

> I'll work on it but now I'm working and I'm able to use only my spare time
> to do it, but I'll make my best effort to finish in a professional way this
> feature. I'll start to work on some of your suggestions at the end of the
> week.

Thanks!

--
Dave Page