Re: _USE_32BIT_TIME_T Patch

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Owais Khan <owais(dot)khan(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hamid Quddus <hamid(dot)quddus(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: _USE_32BIT_TIME_T Patch
Date: 2012-08-30 12:39:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 6:34 AM, Owais Khan <owais(dot)khan(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are getting crash while using plperl on Win32 as ActiveState perl(Win32)
> uses 32-bit time_t structures. So, We have to compile DB Server's code also
> with 32-bit time_t structure.
>
> Patch is adding _USE_32BIT_TIME_T in preprocessor definitions in case
> platform is Windows-32 for all project files.

For additional background info, we did originally define this macro
for compatibility with third party code:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=22867ab9867a145b676f906b98f491c4496a70da

however it got removed here for some reason:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=cd004067742ee16ee63e55abfb4acbd5f09fbaab

The bottom line is, without it, pl/perl will crash with modern
versions of ActiveState Perl on Win32 (Windows users cannot use
Strawberry Perl as it doesn't contain the shared library we need).

This should definitely go in 9.2, and ideally the earlier branches
that didn't have it defined as well (this has been reported in the
past for 9.1 - for example;
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2012-04/msg00054.php) -
though I'm a little worried that adding it there may cause other
existing addons to require recompilation.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company