Re: Skip partition tuple routing with constant partition key

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skip partition tuple routing with constant partition key
Date: 2021-05-24 08:27:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hou-san,

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:31 AM houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for looking into this and writing the patch. Your idea does
sound promising.

> Currently for a normal RANGE partition key it will first generate a CHECK expression
> like : [Keyexpression IS NOT NULL AND Keyexpression > lowboud AND Keyexpression < lowboud].
> In this case, Keyexpression will be re-executed which will bring some overhead.
>
> Instead, I think we can try to do the following step:
> 1)extract the Keyexpression from the CHECK expression
> 2)evaluate the key expression in advance
> 3)pass the result of key expression to do the partition CHECK.
> In this way ,we only execute the key expression once which looks more efficient.

I would have preferred this not to touch anything but
ExecPartitionCheck(), at least in the first version. Especially,
seeing that your patch touches partbounds.c makes me a bit nervous,
because the logic there is pretty complicated to begin with.

How about we start with something like the attached? It's the same
idea AFAICS, but implemented with a smaller footprint. We can
consider teaching relcache about this as the next step, if at all. I
haven't measured the performance, but maybe it's not as fast as yours,
so will need some fine-tuning. Can you please give it a read?

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
ExecPartitionCheck-eval-partexprs-once-PoC_v1.patch application/octet-stream 11.4 KB