Re: d25ea01275 and partitionwise join

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: d25ea01275 and partitionwise join
Date: 2019-07-18 02:18:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujita-san,

Thanks for looking at this.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 8:22 PM Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 6:29 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > 0001 - fix partitionwise join to work correctly with n-way joins of
> > which some are full joins (+ cosmetic improvements around the code
> > that was touched)
>
> Here are my comments about the cosmetic improvements: they seem pretty
> large to me, so I'd make a separate patch for that.

OK, my bad that I added so many cosmetic changes into a patch that is
meant to fix the main issue. Just to clarify, I'm proposing these
cosmetic improvements to better clarify the terminological separation
between nullable and non-nullable partition keys, which I found a bit
hard to understand as is.

I've broken the patch into two: 0001 contains only cosmetic changes
and 0002 the fix for handling full joins properly. Would you rather
that be reversed?

> In addition, I'd
> move have_partkey_equi_join() and match_expr_to_partition_keys() to
> relnode.c, because these functions are only used in that file.

I hadn't noticed that. Makes sense to move them to relnode.c, which
is implemented in 0001.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Some-cosmetic-improvements-to-partitionwise-join-.patch application/octet-stream 22.2 KB
v2-0002-Fix-partitionwise-join-to-handle-FULL-JOINs-corre.patch application/octet-stream 18.4 KB
v2-0003-Add-multi-relation-EC-child-members-in-a-separate.patch application/octet-stream 21.5 KB