Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "David Rowley *EXTERN*" <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Date: 2022-03-11 14:35:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 11:18 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 7:02 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I don't love PlanPrepOutput the way you have it. I think one of the
> > basic design issues for this patch is: should we think of the prep
> > phase as specifically pruning, or is it general prep and pruning is
> > the first thing for which we're going to use it? If it's really a
> > pre-pruning phase, we could name it that way instead of calling it
> > "prep". If it's really a general prep phase, then why does
> > PlanPrepOutput contain initially_valid_subnodes as a field? One could
> > imagine letting each prep function decide what kind of prep node it
> > would like to return, with partition pruning being just one of the
> > options. But is that a useful generalization of the basic concept, or
> > just pretending that a special-purpose mechanism is more general than
> > it really is?
>
> While it can feel like the latter TBH, I'm inclined to keep
> ExecutorPrep generalized. What bothers me about about the
> alternative of calling the new phase something less generalized like
> ExecutorDoInitPruning() is that that makes the somewhat elaborate API
> changes needed for the phase's output to put into QueryDesc, through
> which it ultimately reaches the main executor, seem less worthwhile.
>
> I agree that PlanPrepOutput design needs to be likewise generalized,
> maybe like you suggest -- using PlanInitPruningOutput, a child class
> of PlanPrepOutput, to return the prep output for plan nodes that
> support pruning.
>
> Thoughts?

So I decided to agree with you after all about limiting the scope of
this new executor interface, or IOW call it what it is.

I have named it ExecutorGetLockRels() to go with the only use case we
know for it -- get the set of relations for AcquireExecutorLocks() to
lock to validate a plan tree. Its result returned in a node named
ExecLockRelsInfo, which contains the set of relations scanned in the
plan tree (lockrels) and a list of PlanInitPruningOutput nodes for all
nodes that undergo pruning.

> > + return CreateQueryDesc(pstmt, NULL, /* XXX pass ExecPrepOutput too? */
> >
> > It seems to me that we should do what the XXX suggests. It doesn't
> > seem nice if the parallel workers could theoretically decide to prune
> > a different set of nodes than the leader.
>
> OK, will fix.

Done. This required adding nodeToString() and stringToNode() support
for the nodes produced by the new executor function that wasn't there
before.

> > Somewhere, we're going to need to document the idea that this may
> > permit us to execute a plan that isn't actually fully valid, but that
> > we expect to survive because we'll never do anything with the parts of
> > it that aren't. Maybe that should be added to the executor README, or
> > maybe there's some better place, but I don't think that should remain
> > something that's just implicit.
>
> Agreed. I'd added a description of the new prep phase to executor
> README, though the text didn't mention this particular bit. Will fix
> to mention it.

Rewrote the comments above ExecutorGetLockRels() (previously
ExecutorPrep()) and the executor README text to be explicit about the
fact that not locking some relations effectively invalidates pruned
parts of the plan tree.

> > This is not a full review, just some initial thoughts looking through this.
>
> Thanks again. Will post a new version soon after a bit more polishing.

Attached is v5, now broken into 3 patches:

0001: Some refactoring of runtime pruning code
0002: Add a plan_tree_walker
0003: Teach AcquireExecutorLocks to skip locking pruned relations

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0002-Add-a-plan_tree_walker.patch application/octet-stream 3.9 KB
v5-0003-Teach-AcquireExecutorLocks-to-skip-locking-pruned.patch application/octet-stream 93.2 KB
v5-0001-Some-refactoring-of-runtime-pruning-code.patch application/octet-stream 26.4 KB