Postres Beta Installer Error on W2K SP4

From: "Sean S(dot) O'Donovan" <seano(at)digicore(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postres Beta Installer Error on W2K SP4
Date: 2004-07-27 08:54:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Hi,

I get the following errors on two different machines both running W2K200 SP4.

I installed the .msi file and received the following error after a series of postmaster application errors of the form "the memory at XXXXXXXXX could not be referenced"

This is the initdb log:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres_user".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

fixing permissions on existing directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data ... ok
creating directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/global ... ok
creating directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/pg_xlog ... ok
creating directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/pg_xlog/archive_status ... ok
creating directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/pg_clog ... ok
creating directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/pg_subtrans ... ok
creating directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/base ... ok
creating directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/base/1 ... ok
creating directory G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data/base/1 ... Deleted file - G:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\7.5\data\pg_hba.conf
Deleted file - G:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\7.5\data\pg_ident.conf
Deleted file - G:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\7.5\data\PG_VERSION
Deleted file - G:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\7.5\data\postgresql.conf
child process was terminated by signal 5
initdb: failed
initdb: removing contents of data directory "G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/7.5/data"

After this the install rolled back and I had nothing !

I tested the latest (25 July 2004) release from http://www.hagander.net/pgsql/win32snap/ and got similar errors.

By replacing the postgres.exe and postmaster.exe with an older one from the above site ( I think about three dats older) I could continue as normal.

Is this a W2K issue only ? I have been regularly downloading and testing the win32 binary releases and this postmaster/postgres exe issue is the only serious problem I have not been able to get around without reverting to an earlier release.

Thanks for the great work

Sean O'Donovan