RE: Use a rule or a transaction

From: "Madel, Kurt" <KMadel(at)USInspect(dot)com>
To: "'Antoine Reid'" <antoiner(at)hansonpublications(dot)com>, "Madel, Kurt" <KMadel(at)USInspect(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: Use a rule or a transaction
Date: 2000-08-15 19:38:09
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hey Antoine,

I am using 7.0.2, and I would be in your debt if you created a working
example. Basically, the structure of the query I would like to do is as
such (there are six modules in the module table for each quarter:
a_q1,b_q1,c_q1,d_q1,e_q1,morn_q1,a_q2.....). A student comes to register
and selects all of the classes that are available in a given module, and
then hits submit. Information will be inserted into the modules table as
follows (in PHP):

<?php
$conn=pg_connect(blah, blah, blah)
or die('Unable to connect to database');
pg_exec($conn,"insert into module (student_id,year) values
('$student_id','$year')")
or die('Unable to insert record, please go back to registration
page');

pg_exec($conn,"begin work");

pg_exec($conn,"update module set a_q1='$a_q1 where student_id=$student_id
and year=$year");

pg_exec($conn,"update class set class.size=class.size+1 where class.id=$a_q1
and class.size<class.maxsize");

pg_exec($conn,"commit work");
//and so on for the other 23 module/quarters

?>
If you could give me a working example of a trigger/function that would
simplify this, that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Kurt