Re: Fixing WAL instability in various TAP tests

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixing WAL instability in various TAP tests
Date: 2021-09-27 19:58:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sep 25, 2021, at 11:04 AM, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I took Tom's response to be, "yeah, go ahead", and am mostly waiting for the weekend to be over to see if anybody else has anything to say about it.

Here is a patch set, one patch per test. The third patch enables its test in the Makefile, which is commented as having been disabled due to the test being unstable in the build farm. Re-enabling the test might be wrong, since the instability might not have been due to WAL being recycled early. I didn't find enough history about why that test was disabled, so trying it in the build farm again is the best I can suggest. Maybe somebody else on this list knows more?

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Harden-test-againt-premature-discarding-of-WAL.patch application/octet-stream 1.3 KB
v1-0002-Harden-test-againt-premature-discarding-of-WAL.patch application/octet-stream 1.0 KB
v1-0003-Harden-and-enable-bloom-TAP-test.patch application/octet-stream 1.8 KB