Re: PostgreSQL to Oracle

From: Martin Gainty <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <abr_ora(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL to Oracle
Date: 2009-02-27 15:47:22
Lists: pgsql-general

1)Strip all Postgres and or user-specific custom datatypes
for ex if you see an in or out var declared as fubar chances are this wont map correctly in Oracle

2)Get to know packages..they work well to aggregate and organise
2a)Functions and Procedures which are used for a specific purpose for example
HL7 events such as A01,A03 or A08 would be different implementations
of a package base class A00 (Health Level 7) Base Structure
2b)Variables and or attributes which would support the Package type in my case
HL7_Event_Type would be A01,A03 or A08

The safest way to transport functions is to code required functionality in Java such as
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTON java_pkg AS
FUNCTION phone_fmt
(p_phone IN VARCHAR2)
RETURN VARCHAR2
IS
LANGUAGE JAVA
NAME 'JavaPackageName.JavaClassName.getString (char[]) return char[]';
END;
/

/* contents of JavaPackageName.JavaClassName */
package JavaPackageName;
public class JavaClassName
{
public String aString=new String("fubar");
public JavaClassName() { ; } //default constructor
public JavaClassName(char[] aString) //constructor with 1 string arg
{
System.out.println("JavaClassname has one input which is a String contents="+aString);
}
public getString(char[] input_string)
{
this.aString = new java.lang.String(input_string);
return this.aString;
}
}

HTH