Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?

From: "Belbin, Peter" <Peter(dot)Belbin(at)PAETEC(dot)com>
To: 'Guillaume Lelarge' <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)spamcop(dot)net>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is 1.14 supposed to behave differently when it loses connection?
Date: 2011-06-15 16:10:56
Lists: pgadmin-support

Guillaume,

Are you accessing a remote, network connected server for your testing?

If so, are you causing a network outage by disconnecting your network connection?

I have been seeing for a long time, on windows clients, that pgAdmin does not behave very nicely when, for any reason, the connection is no longer up.

The reason for the connection not being up is typically that I am accessing a database that is remote, and potentially sitting behind at least a couple of layers of firewall or nat, which have their own ideas about how long to allow a connection mappings across them valid and functioning, so it's not really something I have direct control over, and in any case, we're talking about how pgAdmin reacts to such an occurrence, not how to avoid the problem.

The bottom line is that in windows, when pgAdmin discovers that the connection has been broken, pgAdmin most often ends up having to be killed off and restarted. I've even gotten to the point of not even trying to have it attempt to reconnect, because it seems that this can fail as well.

This issue appears to affect not only the table edit grid tool, but the main app as well. Not sure about the sql query tool.

Either way, the problem as a whole is quite annoying when it happens.

Don't get me wrong, pgAdmin is great! But, this is one of it's rough edges.

Regards,
Peter.