R: Postgresql 9.0b2 : pg_upgrade not passing username to pgdumpall ?

From: "Cassiano, Marco" <mcassiano(at)manord(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: R: Postgresql 9.0b2 : pg_upgrade not passing username to pgdumpall ?
Date: 2010-06-23 16:02:32
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-testers

Thank you Bruce,

I applied the patch and found two things you might want to take in consideration :

1) dump.c Line 25 should be :

SYSTEMQUOTE, ctx->new.bindir, ctx->old.port, ctx->user, ctx->output_dir);

And not

SYSTEMQUOTE, ctx->new.bindir, ctx->old.port, ctx->user, ctx->cwd);

(sorry, I'm not confident at producing patch files....)

2) I then recompiled pg_upgrade and reinstalled it.
Now it goes a little bit further but I think there's another point (vacuumdb of the new cluster) in which the username is missing.
You might want to take a look at this output (/tmp/pg_upgrade.log)

Checking for presence of required libraries ok

| If pg_upgrade fails after this point, you must
| re-initdb the new cluster before continuing.
| You will also need to remove the ".old" suffix
| from /dbms/pgdata-8.4/global/pg_control.old.

Performing Migration
Adding ".old" suffix to old global/pg_control ok
Analyzing all rows in the new cluster "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/vacuumdb" --port 5432 --all --analyze >> /tmp/pg_upgrade.log 2>&1
FATAL: role "postgres" does not exist
vacuumdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "postgres" does not exist

If I launch it manually adding the -U mysuperuser option it works...

Hope this is somehow useful

Regards

Marco