Re: starting problem when running postgresql

From: "nilesh gujar" <gujarnilesh(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: vimal_it(at)engineer(dot)com, pgsql-chat(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: starting problem when running postgresql
Date: 2004-10-23 07:23:34
Lists: pgsql-chat

Hi,

Looks like the options you have set to make postgres start as a service is
failing..

Check couple of things.

login as root
type mail at the promt and read the events..
you will see some mails to the root account & postgres too...

temp soultions is start you postgres as
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &

temp soultions to stop your postgres as
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data stop

bye

>From: "vimalan dharmarajan" <vimal_it(at)engineer(dot)com>
>To: pgsql-chat(at)postgresql(dot)org
>Subject: [pgsql-chat] starting problem when running postgresql
>Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:47:06 -0500
>
>Sir,
> i am vimal,i saw ur forum .it is a very nice that is the reason i
>joined with u.
>
> i am new in postgresql.when i started the postgresql , it ran
>correct.but now it give failed error
>example.
>
> [root ( at ) localhost root] /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
> starting postgresql service [FAILED]
> [root ( at ) localhost root]
>
> i dont know want to do . kindly help to me sir.
>--
>Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
>http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your

Buy or Sell. http://ads2.baazee.com/cgi-bin/banners/redirect.pl?id=1124 New
and Used Items.