question on plpgsql block

From: Karthikeyan Sundaram <skarthi98(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: question on plpgsql block
Date: 2007-04-12 22:44:19
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

Hi Gurus,

I tried a plpgsql block from the php.

example

a='begin
insert into table a values (....);
insert into table b values (....)
insert into table c values (...)
select into p_var ... from table where condtion
update a set column = <new value> where condition;
commit;
end;';

I works fine when I call this block from php, whereas, I tried to copy the same value from the command line prompt or PGadmin GUI utility. Then it says "ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block"

Why?

Did we need to do any special step up to execute a block or blocks won't execue from command line mode? Please advise.

Regards
skarthi

Your friends are close to you. Keep them that way.
http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx