two postgres binaries

From: kenneth d'souza <kd_souza(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: two postgres binaries
Date: 2008-01-09 11:52:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I am attaching a PID of the a psql to the gdb debugger. However, I am unable to see the code location by the "where" command in gdb. I am of the feeling that postgres that is running doesn't have the debugging symbols.

This postgres is getting started by /usr/local/pgsql/pg_ctl which calls /usr/local/pgsql/posmaster.
However, When I configure and compile with --enable-debug and -g respectively it generates a postgres binary in the location /usr/local/postgres8.1.5/src/backend/ .

I can't use the /usr/local/postgres8.1.5/src/bin/pg_ctl/pg_ctl to start /usr/local/postgres8.1.5/src/backend/postgres as it states that postgres must exists in the same location as that of pg_ctl.

Now, If I use gdb to this /usr/local/postgres8.1.5/src/backend/postgres it runs in single user mode and hence I can't connect via a psql session. Moreover it as a prompt of backend> . I can't even attach a PID now.
Hence my question1. Which is exact method in debugging the postgres which has the debugging symbols and can be connected via psql?2. what is the difference in the binary at 2 different locations. /usr/local/postgres8.1.5/src/backend//usr/local/pgsql/

Thanks,
Kenneth