could not fork new process for connection: Cannot allocate memory

From: "Mr(dot) Dan" <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: could not fork new process for connection: Cannot allocate memory
Date: 2006-10-24 04:48:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

We are running v814 with 8 GB of RAM and 3.5 GB allocated to shared memory.
It's never been a problem for us before. We ran into a situation
yesterday where we received the message above. At that time our total
available memory took a dive to 4GB and cached memory stayed around 4 GB.
Soon after that some process ended and everything returned to normal. It
alsted around 10 minutes. Too bad I didn't see the query or process at the
time it was running.

~DjK