/tmp/.s.PGSQL.532

From: Peter van Summeren <peter_van_summeren(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: /tmp/.s.PGSQL.532
Date: 2006-11-11 17:07:33
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hello,
on $psql
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
Is the server running locall and accepting
connections on UNIX domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.532"?

Why do I get this answer?
What EXACTLY can I do to get this server running?
Please be so kind to give line by line what I should do. I am a novice again, and just want to exercise with psql.
with friendly greetings,
Peter
Get the new Windows Live Messenger!
http://get.live.com/messenger/overview