Connecting to postgreSQL

From: "Peter Cook" <ttpcook(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connecting to postgreSQL
Date: 2005-09-23 00:27:17
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I have a Java Application runnibng on Windows 2000.

Initially it accessed an Access database, and now that I have installed
postgreSQL, I want to configure it to access postgreSQL.

(1) Is there a single document that can take me through the steps, or can
someone give me a simple checklist of what I need to do.
(2) I was using JdbcOdbc to use the Access database, is it possible to use
JdbcOdbc to
access postgreSQL
(3) what are the pros and cons of using JDBC, ODBC and JdbcOdbc

I have a data/jdbc directory with three jar files. I expect I need to unpack
one or all three.
I have included this directory in my CLASSPATH.

I Postmaster appears to be running after system startup because I don't need
to do anything
to fire up pgAdmin.
I read where the -i flag needs to be set for TCP/IP use. How is the
Postmaster started? There must be a
batch file that starts it. I will need to amend the parameters. Also, I see
in one document that
the -i flag is deprecated and the -h flag is prefered.

I hope you can clarify this jumble of discordant information.

I would appreciate your help.

Your sincerely

Peter Cook

SEEK: Over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site.
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail