Re: [GENERAL] How to uninstall PostgreSQL 8.4 on both Windows XP and Windows 7

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mlondolozi Ncapayi <mlondza(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, PGSQL-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] How to uninstall PostgreSQL 8.4 on both Windows XP and Windows 7
Date: 2011-04-20 14:31:19
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Mlondolozi Ncapayi <mlondza(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I installed PostgreSql 8.4 and now I want to delete/ uninstall it
> completely to start a new fresh installation.
> Can you please give me clear instructions on how to do that or maybe a
> script that I can run.
> I am doing assignment using postgres your help would be highly appreciated.

Please go to the postgresql server installation directory and here you will
find one uninstall-postgresql file.

-double click on Uninstall-postgresql file to run the un-installer- it will
un-install postgresql.

II)Also you can un-install it manually.Below are the steps to un-install
postgresql 8.4 manually-

i) Remove the postgresql server installation directory. (rd /s /q
"C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4") Assuming default location.

ii) Delete the user 'postgres' (net user postgres /delete)

iii) Remove the Registry entries. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL
\Installations\postgresql-8.4) and (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL
\Services\postgresql-8.4)

iv) Remove the postgresql-8.4 service. (sc delete postgresql-8.4)

This will completely remove your PostgreSQL 8.4 installation including user
and installation directories.

--Raghu Ram