Re: BUG #6056: sorting issues

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Hepworth <michael(dot)w(dot)hepworth(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6056: sorting issues
Date: 2011-06-14 13:42:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 21:28, Michael Hepworth
<michael(dot)w(dot)hepworth(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  I have created a database with lc_collate =
> en_US.utf8.  This doesn't seem to work.  I does however allow me to sort my
> non english names correctly.  If I drop the database and recreate it with
> lc_collate = C then my english names are ordered correctly but my
> non-english names are sorted incorrectly.

I'm not sure you can use non english names in english locale.
Instead, should you use another locale that covers all characters you use?

I guess locales in libc on Ubuntu 10.4 is just broken or behaves
undesirable as a feature. When I created english locale on Windows,
it returnes expected results in both cases.

Personally, I don't trust locale functions in libc on Linux platforms...

--
Itagaki Takahiro