Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Avoid assuming there will be only 3 states for synchronous_commi

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Avoid assuming there will be only 3 states for synchronous_commi
Date: 2011-04-04 23:10:42
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Avoid assuming there will be only 3 states for synchronous_commit.
> Also avoid hardcoding the current default state by giving it the name
> "on" and replace with a meaningful name that reflects its behaviour.
> Coding only, no change in behaviour.

I think changing the test to > SYNCHRONOUS_COMMIT_OFF is an
improvement, but I don't particularly like the renaming portion of
this change - now the internal names don't match what the user types,
which seems less clear, and inconsistent with every other enum-type
GUC.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company