Re: How to create "auto-increment" field WITHOUT a sequence object?

From: Dmitry Koterov <dmitry(at)koterov(dot)ru>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to create "auto-increment" field WITHOUT a sequence object?
Date: 2011-06-30 20:34:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks to all, I'll try to live with this solution.
(It is not ideal, but pretty good for my case.)

The better way may be to create an additional table with ANY structure and
no data and LOCK using it, but not the "tbl" table. It theoretically
decrease race conditions - the only thing which I need is to make mutex
around only one update statement.