Re: Re: multiple hot standby streaming replication scenario with "rotating" the primary server

From: Gerhard Hintermayer <gerhard(dot)hintermayer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: multiple hot standby streaming replication scenario with "rotating" the primary server
Date: 2011-04-12 12:32:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

I managed to move my indices to btree and now at least data/queries
are consistent after hot standby takeover.
What I'm still worried about is the amount of time rsyncing the
basebackup to another machine (~10 mins over 100MBit LAN).

sent 4669370 bytes received 3287764 bytes 13590.32 bytes/sec
total size is 6503973554 speedup is 817.38

For large table files is see something like "468197128 63%
10.38MB/s 0:00:25" counting up (bytes,percentage)/down(time), but
that data is obviously not transfered. (because total tranfered data
is ~ 3 -4 MByte in the summary).
But when I estimate the ~6,5GB data dir size and the bandwidth of ~
10Mbyte/s, I'll get ~10minutes, so from this point of view it seems
all data is transfered.
This was with absolutely no change of data. I'm just rotating the
streaming replication server and do basebackups to the new slaves.

my basebackup is done via the following ($1 is the parameter for the
server where the basebackup is taken from)

rsync -r --delete --progress ${1}::postgresql-data/
/var/lib/postgresql/9.0/data/

Am I doing something wrong here ? I rsync _over_ the existing data dir.

Gerhard

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Kevin Grittner