Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-20 16:21:03
Lists: pgsql-www

2011/5/20 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
> 2011/5/20 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> If you drive people to sourceforge for distribution, what value is there
>> in git.postgresql.org?
>
> A number of us in the sysadmin team see git.postgresql.org as a
> resource for "family" projects that want to use it, like pgadmin,
> psqlODBC, JDBC, translation team, press etc. For more general project
> use, and for personal development trees, the feeling is that GitHub or
> SourceForge are the appropriate places.

Yeah.

Note that there is no reason not to have both. We know several
projects - e.g. pgadmin - has that. It's trivial to have a project
that's hosted on git.postgresql.org to automatically push mirroring to
github, and you can then use github download pages for example.

(The system is fully automated - if more people want to start using
it, I'll include it in the web interface)

>> I need to figure out what to do with pg_filedump.  All I need for it
>> is an SCM and someplace to put release tarballs.  I'd prefer to use
>> git.postgresql.org, but if there's nowhere for tarballs, that's not
>> going to work.
>
> Hmm, that's a good example. It would certainly qualify to live on
> git.postgresql.org using the criteria I have in mind, but I can see
> the tarballs would be an issue. If we do keep git.postgresql.org for
> trusted projects, then perhaps it wouldn't be such an issue to give
> certain users from each one access to a server to upload tarballs into
> the mirror network.
>
> I certainly wouldn't want to offer that to every project on pgFoundry though.

No, definitely not. For one thing, the management stuff for
git.postgresql.org doesn't scale that way at all.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/