Re: Postgresql database does not start and just hangs

From: "SALUNKHE,MANDAR (HP-Singapore,ex1)" <mandar(dot)salunkhe(at)hp(dot)com>
To: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "FRANKLIN,JOHNSON (HP-Singapore,ex5)" <johnson(dot)franklin(at)hp(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgresql database does not start and just hangs
Date: 2003-04-21 08:40:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear Tom,
Thanks a lot for your help because the suggestion of yours was a success and
we have succeeded in bringing the db back on.
We had to install cygwin and postgresql both again. Just reinstall of
postgresql does not work.
Then finally did a copy and paste the previous /usr/local/pgsql/data
directory in the new install of postgresql.
And when the db was started with
./postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

It worked finally!

Thanks for your support.

This was a hard and long way to do this thing but finally what mattered is
that the work paid off. While working on this was thinking about what
exactly made cygwin to go whacko like that?

Thanks

Mandar Salunkhe
460 Alexandra Road, PSA Building
Singapore 119963
Phone: 65-63617413 HP Telnet Number: 831-7413
Well there's no harm in trying this our on our test database. If it works we
are through, otherwise back to Square 1. Few pointers needed: Do I just copy
and paste the previous /usr/local/pgsql/data directory in the new install of
postgresql? Thanks

Mandar Salunkhe
HP CDI Team