Re: Installing Postgres

From: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing Postgres
Date: 2007-08-23 19:38:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom,
In the end I set up the data directory as a subdirectory that had the
current version number of PostgreSQL in the name. When I upgrade in the
future to a new version of PostgreSQL I will create a new data
subdirectory using the new version number in the name. I will then load
that database from the prior version. It will make falling back on a
prior version easier and more organized.

I agree that using a subdirectory is a better strategy.

It is nice to know that you can actually move the database by simply
moving the files. That does assume you shut down the database first.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell
Project Manager/Software Architect
Web Services at Public Affairs