Re: JSON for PG 9.2

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joey Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>, Claes Jakobsson <claes(at)surfar(dot)nu>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: JSON for PG 9.2
Date: 2012-01-20 17:12:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 19, 2012, at 9:07 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> If his client encoding is UTF8, the value will be letter-perfect JSON
> when it gets to him; and if his client encoding is not UTF8, then he's
> already pretty much decided that he doesn't give a fig about the
> Unicode-centricity of the JSON spec, no?

Don’t entirely agree with this. Some folks are stuck with other encodings and cannot change them for one reason or another. That said, they can convert JSON from their required encoding into UTF-8 on the client side, so there is a workaround.

Not that this changes anything, and I agree with the overall direction of the discussion here. I just want to make sure we keep in mind folks who don’t necessarily have the freedom to switch to UTF-8. (And I say this as someone who *always* uses UTF-8!)

David