Re: [BUGS] BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session

From: Cristian Bittel <cbittel(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session
Date: 2010-09-01 14:49:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Maybe the issue, for the momtent, could be avoided modifying the shared heap
for sessions on Windows. But I don't really have idea how much to increase
or decrease the values. Try and error? But, inside the opened Windows
sessions nothing alerts of a heap exaust so could be unpredictable how much
to change the values until the next PostgreSQL service crash...
32-bits: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184802
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184802%20>

There are several reports for another services with the same behavior
including exit code 128 and a workaround to increase the heap on old Windows
versions but the Exit Code 128 seems to apply to Windows 2003 Server x64
also. And seems to be improved in Windows 2008 where heap is not fixed.
https://fogbugz.bitvise.com/default.asp?WinSSHD.1.12888.2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824422