Re: .oO - Translation

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .oO - Translation
Date: 2011-03-01 19:36:09
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 20:25, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mar mar 01 14:17:30 -0300 2011:
>
>> > think it's fairly likely that we'd get partial, out-of-date translations
>> > anyway, but we don't actually have any history here to speak of.
>>
>> s/fairly likely/absolutely guaranteed/
>>
>> We don't even have the resources to keep up with *moderation* all the
>> time. We don't have anywhere near the resources to do near-real-time
>> translation.
>>
>> And IMNSHO, an out-of-date translation is *way* worse than no
>> translation at all.
>
> What do you call an out-of-date translation?  If Dave Fetter submits PWN
> today, is the site displayed completely in english tomorrow because we
> couldn't find a translator?

The way it was built before, no, jst that one page. So you got a site
that was partially localized, partially not.

> Debian handles this nicely: if the original is newer than the
> translation, they just display it in english and tell you that there's
> an outdated translation which you may want to check.

Yes, that's the only way you could do it.

> To be honest I had been hoping this feature was going to be available on
> the new site.  At least that's what I told the people in Cuba: there is
> no need to translate the site right now because we're going to migrate,
> so lets hold off until the new site is deployed.  Oh well :-(

Interesting, because in the discussoins that were had, *nobody* spoke
up about that.

But hey, it's open source. Patches welcome. If someone takes it upon
themselves to actually *maintain* code for dealing with it, then we
can certainly do it. But people who don't work with translation, can't
verify things, or anything like that, aren't going to maintain the
code.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/