Question about object renaming in 9.0 (release note doc.)

From: A B <gentosaker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question about object renaming in 9.0 (release note doc.)
Date: 2011-01-18 09:32:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello.

I read in the release notes for 9.0

"No longer automatically rename indexes and index columns when the
underlying table columns are renamed (Tom Lane) "

What does this mean?

If I have a table with a column "x" with an index on the column, and
change it to y, the name of the index will not change. That's fine,
but the part "index columns", will the index definition refer to a
column (x) that no longer exists? I might have gotten this completly
wrong, so please could some one clarify?