Re: Please provide stable target anchors

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please provide stable target anchors
Date: 2010-07-22 09:23:11
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On ons, 2010-07-21 at 03:16 +0100, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:

>> I've also played with good results with a script to inject ids in all
>> the indexterm, but if the decision is to not provide anchors in the
>> middle of the page I think you wouldn't be interested in it.
>
> I think it's a bit weird to link to indexentry elements.  I can't quite
> wrap my head around it.  I think you could just as well link to the
> varlistentry elements or some other element close by.  Check out how we
> link to the configuration parameters in config.sgml.

That would probably do. My point is that libpq functions currently
provides no URL to reference. I was thinking to use the indexentry id
after analysing what is in the html, but if there is a better tool in
sgml I'd rather use that.

I didn't notice the config entries had url: this is exactly what I was
expecting from the libpq entries. I think you will not mind then if I
add ids to them the same way.

If I had to provide a patch, what would be the best source tree to
modify? Is master on http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git
ok?

> Btw., try to use some kind of hierarchical scheme for the id's.  If
> something is in the libpq chapter, use something like
> id="libpq-pqtransactionstatus".

I thought that a hierarchy was implied by the fact that the id is the
fragment of the url (that would be then
http://www.pg.org/docs/.../libpq.html#funcname) but no problem in
adding a prefix to the id too (I guess it would be useful for internal
cross reference).

-- Daniele