Re: Stumped by a version conflict.

From: Patric Michael <bluestar43(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stumped by a version conflict.
Date: 2010-07-17 05:24:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM, Patric Michael <bluestar43(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Scott...
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> So what does
> >>
> >> sudo locate postgresql.conf
> >>
> >> say?
> >
> > That I am irredeemably lazy as an admin? :)
>
> Lazy isn't always bad. Sometimes it makes you an efficiency expert.

True enough, if you can *remember* how you implemented your efficiency. :D

> > /usr/share/pgsql/postgresql.conf.sample
> > /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
> > /home/archives/db/postgresql.conf
> > /home/postgres/data/postgresql.conf
> >
> > The first line is the --datadir as reported by pg_configure --configure
> > The second line is the 7.4 data dir according to its PG_VERSION
> > The third line was a directory backup I made when I upgraded to 8.1
> > The fourth line is the most recently updated database according to the
> time
> > stamps. (three days ago)
>
> So, what does PG_VERSION in each of the above directories have to say?

7.4, which is unfortunately consistent with the idea of having done all the
backup and restore work while cd'd to the now deleted binaries directory
when I installed 8.1, although I no longer remember for sure. At the very
least, it's the only explanation that makes sense to me, because pg_ctl
--version pretty clearly shows 8.1.11 *headscratch*