Re: SGML on functions

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SGML on functions
Date: 2010-08-29 20:05:10
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 29 August 2010 20:24, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> On 29 August 2010 20:12, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> On fre, 2010-08-27 at 21:57 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>>> I've also noticed that a lot of the <screen> contents are indented as
>>> part of the markup, but when output in HTML, each space it recreated
>>> as it ends up in either <code> or <pre> tags.
>>>
>>> <programlisting> contents seem to have been intentionally entered so
>>> that they break with the indenting style so they're output correctly.
>>> Shouldn't tags such as <screen> follow the same style so that they can
>>> also avoid unintentional leading whitespace?
>>
>> I don't really know what you mean here.  Do you have an example?
>
> Yes, although it appears to have been resolved in 9.0's documentation:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/libpq-connect.html
>
> Compare to..
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/libpq-connect.html
>
> The part in question is the line after which it says "Makes a new
> connection to the database server".

Ah, it appears it was actually *you* who fixed it!

"Fix indentation of verbatim block elements

Block elements with verbatim formatting (literallayout, programlisting,
screen, synopsis) should be aligned at column 0 independent of the surrounding
SGML, because whitespace is significant, and indenting them creates erratic
whitespace in the output. The CSS stylesheets already take care of indenting
the output.

Assorted markup improvements to go along with it."

http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/libpq.sgml.diff?r1=1.313.2.2;r2=1.313.2.3

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion