Re: Looking for table design interface advice for pgAdmin Database Designer

From: Luis Ochoa <ziul1979(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for table design interface advice for pgAdmin Database Designer
Date: 2010-07-23 15:24:34
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> > I'm not sure about line up data types you can see other modeller like
> this:
> >
> > http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/images/ss/dbd4_ss_simplemodel.png
> >
> > and in fact they align at left table's columns. Probably line up
> datatypes
> > won't get a better reading, because columns sizes differences, for
> example:
> >
> > id :
> > integer
> > cmpy_emp_first_name_id : integer
> > id2 :
> integer
> > id 3 :
> integer
> > cmpy_emp_last_name_of_external_boss_id : integer
> > id 5 :
> integer
> >

> In that case, could they be bold and a different colour too, just to
> improve scanability?

it can be a good idea, I'm going to test it after finish other things.

> > my idea for joins is this: When you select a join, columns from source
> table
> > (always primary of that table) will change their color to the same color
> of
> > the join when is selected, and then destination table column (foreign
> keys
> > to that primary keys) will change too theri color.
>
> I like that idea, although it would also be worth thinking about
> people who are colour-blind when designing this if you can too.

Oh a good point, then I'm going change color & use bold fonts for fk columns
and add some width to join line when selected.

Thanks for your ideas, right now I'm sending a new image of my proposal
table figure interface for evaluation. This is a concept donde using Gimp
(but almost finished at source code too), time I use same pgAdmin figures
but I didn't find a figure for pk,fk columns (with hierarchy), any
suggestions for this icon? I used * & O as not null and null symbols as in
GQB.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Regards, Luis.

Attachment Content-Type Size