Re: Issue with libpq < 8.4

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issue with libpq < 8.4
Date: 2010-08-24 11:41:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

>>> We use PQconninfoParse to check to ensure we have a new enough libpq
>>> to use application_name, so we can avoid sending it with older libpqs.
>>> If we disable the check for older libpqs, then we'll always get an
>>> error with them. The only way to fix that would be to only allow a 9.0
>>> libpq to be used.
>>>
>>> The current code at least allows 8.4 and 9.0 libpqs.
>>
>> What is it that we put into 8.4 that's making that one good enough? It
>> still didn't actually know about application_name, did it? Or did we
>> backpatch that knowledge, only not past 8.4?
>
> PQconninfoParse is in 8.4 and above. we use that to test at runtime
> whether or not we can use application_name.

Oh. Meh, we didn't have it at all before that. Forgot about that :S

So can't we do something like:

#ifdef HAVE_CONNINFO_PARSE
if (conninfoparse_shows_we_have_application_name_support)
use connstr_with_appname;
else
use connstr_without_appname;
#else
use connstr_without_appname
#endif

? That way it should still work with older libpq, just not set
application_name...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/