unnailing shared relations (was Re: global temporary tables)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: unnailing shared relations (was Re: global temporary tables)
Date: 2010-05-21 14:20:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote (in reply to Tom Lane):
> If we create, e.g. pg_shared_class and
> pg_shared_attribute, then we can un-nail the catalogs you just nailed
> to make the authentication process able to work without selecting a
> database.

Actually, there's another way we could do this. Instead of creating
pg_shared_class and pg_shared_attribute and moving all of the catalog
entries for the shared relations into those tables, we could consider
leaving the catalog entries in the unshared copies of pg_class,
pg_attribute, etc. and DUPLICATING them in a shared catalog which
would only be used prior to selecting a database. Once we selected a
database we'd switch to using the database-specific pg_class et al.
Obviously that's a little grotty but it might (?) be easier, and
possibly a step along the way.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company