Re: pg_dump --split patch

From: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
To: David Wilson <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --split patch
Date: 2010-12-28 23:24:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/12/29 David Wilson <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>

> Why not place all overloads of a function within the same file? Then,
> assuming you order them deterministically within that file, we sidestep the
> file naming issue and maintain useful diff capabilities, since a diff of the
> function's file will show additions or removals of various overloaded
> versions.

Good suggestion. I agree, trying to put variations of the same function in
different files simply becomes too ugly and the problem it solves is not big
enough.
Then we just need to make sure pg_dump dumps objects in the same order, and
let diff take care of the rest of the challenge. :)

Brb with a new patch.

--
Best regards,

Joel Jacobson